FRENCH CHAOS ZONE

SHEEP ON METH SHOCKED WITH TASERS !

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Shakespeare

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
E.

Male Number of posts : 1585
Registration date : 2007-01-08

PostSubject: Shakespeare   Fri 2 Feb 2007 - 4:52

Loving Shakespeare is quite THE cliché (almost as much as Baudelaire for gothic people ange ) -I don't remember ever hearing or reading anyone disliking his works. But still, it IS great litterature, I'm amazed by his style, and I really think there's a bit -a lot- of where people such as Caroll or the Monty pythons come from in it... I haven't read much of it (Hamlet is the only one I read till the end) but maybe some of you have ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invité

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Fri 2 Feb 2007 - 5:12

I didn't actually "get into" it outside of school.
Pretty much all of my freshman year of English was all Shakespeare work; from poetry to literature to plays to term papers--and that got a bit tiring.

I'm a fan of the '96 "Romeo & Juliet" film, but i didn't usually see any other films with Shakspearean background outside of school.

I do admire his brilliance, but sometimes his works can sound redundant.
Or maybe, i just got worn out from too much Shakespeare? silent

either way he is still undoubtedly a genious unlike anyone else Wink
Back to top Go down
E.

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Fri 2 Feb 2007 - 5:35

Well, I guess I could quickly get tired of his works too, because I don't really care about the plot, I just adore the way he writes, his old fashionned english is THE way anything should be written !
What's really amazing with Shakespeare is the huge "consensus" (do they say that in english ?) about him : I remember reading a few articles (one was written by french playwriter Eugene Ionesco, the others I can't remember, they weren't taht famous though) where the authors said they disliked theatre, that each and every play they had seen or read, they disliked, and in each of these articles there was one exception ; Shakespeare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invité

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Fri 2 Feb 2007 - 7:27

true. he was an exception to most literature standards. and his way of speaking is indeed classic and original.

i WISH i could enjoy him more...i mean, i've tried to, but i guess i'm just worn out with that style of work perhaps.
Back to top Go down
vx

Male Number of posts : 6638
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 2:04

I just CAN't read Shakespeare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
E.

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 3:26

Why ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invité

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 3:28

i honestly prefer Dickinson & Poe, perhaps Byron, over Shakespeare only because i've grown tired of Shakespeare, and the more melancholy tales are a bit more lively.

but that's only my opinion Wink
Back to top Go down
E.

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 3:41

Well, to be honest, I am not very attracted to Shakespeare's books, because, as I said, I am not very interested in the stories he tells, I just really enjoy the way he writes, but that's pure formal pleasure... I don't really care who killed Hamlet's father or if Hamlet is mad or not. As a matter of fact, my favorite character is Polonius, just for the way he talks.
Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like Shakespeare, but that's mostly beacause of his style, and thus I don't really feel like reading all of his books.
But STILL Shakespeare rocks !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 4:06

E. wrote:
Why ?

I just don't understand elizabethan english.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
E.

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 4:10

Give the "Shakespeare made easy" edition a try, it's a bilingual version : elizabethan / modern english face to face on each page, I used it myself, and it's REALLY helpfull, the only way for me to read it indeed
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 4:30

Macbeth is my favourite
Back to top Go down
vx

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 13:00

E. wrote:
Give the "Shakespeare made easy" edition a try, it's a bilingual version : elizabethan / modern english face to face on each page, I used it myself, and it's REALLY helpfull, the only way for me to read it indeed

I'll have a try one of these days... If I get to the end of James Joyce's Ulysses !
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 17:33

E. wrote:
please, not that crap... i mean, take a quick look on the "translation" to get the point, but don't actually read it, it's awful. and i don't think understanding is that important, since plots are often more basic than steven seagal's... read it for rythm and rhyme, even if you don't get it, but the modern version just carries no tune.
Back to top Go down
E.

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 4 Feb 2007 - 17:54

scritch wrote:
take a quick look on the "translation" to get the point, but don't actually read it, it's awful.
That's the point ! I never said it should be read in modern english, but that having the modern english was helpfull, and seeing both even makes the elizabethan's style and particularity more obvious...
Quote :
and i don't think understanding is that important, since plots are often more basic than steven seagal's... read it for rythm and rhyme, even if you don't get it
Yeah, but it's hard so stand the distance when you can't get anything, it's just a little help, but quite necessary sometimes...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilyboy
The Pink Lady

Female Number of posts : 1740

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Wed 7 Feb 2007 - 2:52

Does anybody have seen the movie or the play "Rosencranzt and Guildenstern are dead", with Gary ldman, Tim Roth and Richard Dreyffus? the story is a cover of Hamlet, but seen through 2 minor characters... it seems nobody saw it in France, but maybe our international friends?...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/lilyboy
Invité

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Wed 7 Feb 2007 - 3:42

i know what movie you're talking about, but i've never seen it.
Back to top Go down
lilyboy
The Pink Lady

Female Number of posts : 1740

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Fri 9 Feb 2007 - 21:09

it's a very very strange movie. At first, you tell "well... absurd humour... funny but not more than another absurd movie..." after, well "hey, there is something behind... some very interresting things are said too...", and the more you see this movie, the more you discover a lot of things... a lot of symbolisms, etc.
I've seen it about 20 times (it's my fave movie), and really, i still discover new things each time. A very rich movie, with a lot of different degres of meaning.
According what i have read about the play, the play is said to be even better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/lilyboy
-

Female Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 11 Feb 2007 - 6:01

FuckThePower wrote:
Macbeth is my favourite

this play is fantastic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LordBeavis

Male Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sun 11 Feb 2007 - 10:30

lilyboy wrote:
it's a very very strange movie. At first, you tell "well... absurd humour... funny but not more than another absurd movie..." after, well "hey, there is something behind... some very interresting things are said too...", and the more you see this movie, the more you discover a lot of things... a lot of symbolisms, etc.
I've seen it about 20 times (it's my fave movie), and really, i still discover new things each time. A very rich movie, with a lot of different degres of meaning.
According what i have read about the play, the play is said to be even better!

I saw it a long time ago. I remember thinking it was amusing, but I don't remember a lot of it. I'll have to rent it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Rick-Lyter/1357621938
vx

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Tue 17 Feb 2009 - 23:33

I remember I worked a bit on the original play "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead" by Tom Stoppard... I'll have to watch the movie.

Loosely Shakespeare-related : I LOVE the Macbeth soundtrack by The Third Ear Band (Polanski's Macbeth)

Anyone seen "Prospero's book's" by Peter Greenaway ? Kinda... Interesting. "Full fathom five thy father lies", etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 23:17

I don't know why but I have to up this thread. I guess a lizzard man could come and say some important things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daedal

Female Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Wed 9 Sep 2009 - 23:28

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. "

My favortie quote from Shakespeare
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/traxxtown
MariconDelDiablo

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 0:09

Daedal wrote:
"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. "

My favortie quote from Shakespeare

TU NO ERES EL HOMBRE LAGARTO !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MariconDelDiablo

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Thu 10 Sep 2009 - 0:15

ESE MARICON DE SHAKESPEARE NO TIENE NI LOS COJONES PARA LAMAR LA MIERDA DEL MAGNIFICO LOPE DE VEGA !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Today at 5:58

Back to top Go down

Shakespeare
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1