FRENCH CHAOS ZONE

SHEEP ON METH SHOCKED WITH TASERS !

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Pink Floyd & related

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vx

Male Number of posts : 6638
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Pink Floyd & related   Tue 24 Feb 2009 - 18:09

Well, seems like Pink Floyd and Pink Floyd-related stuff are never far away, in the “me myself & I listen to music now” topic… So here’s a corner to discuss anything waters/Gilmour/Wright/Mason stuff. Wait, did I forget someone ? Guy Pratt ? Snowy White ?
Anyway…

Obscured By Clouds

In my days of youth, I used to listen to the Floyd again and again on poorly recorded tapes – and also some tapes I bought, yeah, in those days, you gave away money for a fucking hissy tape. I think I bought “obscured by clouds” somewhere back in the late 80’s… And almost never listened to it. I mean, really. It had just this overall feeling of « bad floyd songs » - sleepy joyful ballads, pure hippy crap. So I never went back to this album, until lately… And hell, I was wrong. It’s true that most of this soundtrack is just coma-inducing lounge Floyd – close to songs like “Saint Tropez”, to be exact ; I mean, these songs just sound like the boring parts of Meddle. But then… There are some REALLY GOOD instrumentals. Epic stuff, and even some hard-rocking beats – you can already hear Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall knocking at the door. Have a try ! This may be the great « forgotten » Floyd album…

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Tue 24 Feb 2009 - 18:26

R.Waters said that this one was pretty good when you know the few time they take to write and record it.
I know nothing about the movie... Barbet Schroeder stuuf. The "More" movie is not quite as good as the marvellous OST

the worst record ever made by PF remains Delicate Sound of Thunder (closely followed by "Momentary Lapse")

the 1978 solo album from David Gilmour sounds really better to me.

It was years before the Pink Floyd tm shareholder's have decided that DG records does sound "Pink Floydish" enough Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Wed 25 Feb 2009 - 3:15

Apart from Pink Floyd which is one of my fav bands I remember I loved Roger Waters' concept album "Amused to Death" but I didn't listened to it for years.
Back to top Go down
vx

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Wed 25 Feb 2009 - 16:48

Porcupine69 wrote:
the worst record ever made by PF remains Delicate Sound of Thunder (closely followed by "Momentary Lapse")

I can't be really objective about these records, I used to listen to these A LOT when I was 18, and watch the Delicate Sound Of Thunder video (with a good version of "One Of These Days", surprisingly enough). Yeah, this is mostly trash. But I still like some parts. I'll be a teenager forever...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Wed 25 Feb 2009 - 16:55

vx cheerleader 69 wrote:
Porcupine69 wrote:

I can't be really objective about these records, I used to listen to these A LOT when I was 18, and watch the Delicate Sound Of Thunder video (with a good version of "One Of These Days", surprisingly enough). Yeah, this is mostly trash. But I still like some parts. I'll be a teenager forever...

This is the same for me with "The Final Cut" Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Syd Barrett   Tue 5 May 2009 - 1:07

Quote :
Syd Barrett (born Roger Keith Barrett; 6 January 1946 - 7 July 2006) was an English singer, songwriter, guitarist and artist. He is most remembered as a founding member of psychedelic rock band Pink Floyd, providing major musical and stylistic direction in their early work, although he left the group in 1968 amidst speculations of mental illness exacerbated by heavy drug use.

He was active as a rock musician for about seven years, recording two albums with Pink Floyd and two solo albums before going into self-imposed seclusion lasting more than thirty years. His post–rock band life was as an artist and a keen gardener, ending with his death in 2006. During his withdrawal from public life there were numerous works about him, most notably his former band Pink Floyd's 1975 album Wish You Were Here. A number of biographies have been written about him since the 1980s.

Back to top Go down
Teiko

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Tue 5 May 2009 - 2:12

oh yeah, I heard about him... no, wait, who?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lotek.fr
vx

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Tue 5 May 2009 - 15:51

Rock music has its martyrs...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teiko

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Wed 6 May 2009 - 2:07

I'm listening to some random tracks, on albums, best of's, anthologies, complete recordings and so on... but I'm quite perplexed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lotek.fr
wikiller

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Thu 1 Oct 2009 - 17:20

Listening to Syd's can be quite perplexing, yeah. While listening to some Legendary Pink Dots, I was wondering about the "innocence" of the Floyds early music, compared to the following "psychedelic" stuff. I love the LPD, but they can be viewed as a memorial band, in a way...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wikiller

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: David Gilmour 5pink Floyd) collaborating with Alex Patterson (The Orb)   Thu 8 Oct 2009 - 14:29

http://www.davidgilmour.com/index.htm

Wednesday 7th October 2009
David & Orb Rumours True – Up To A Point

Recent comments by ambient exponents The Orb's Alex Paterson that they have been collaborating with David Gilmour are true – up to a point. David has done some recording with The Orb and producer Youth, inspired initially by the plight of Gary McKinnon (see our related stories). However, nothing is finalised, and nothing has been confirmed with regards to any structure for the recordings or firm details re: any release plans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Sat 2 Jan 2010 - 14:13

This might be the best record released by a Pink Floyd member outside Pink Floyd ; it’s also a very good Robert Wyatt album (he sings all songs but one) ; and it’s also a very good Carla Bley album (she wrote all the material). Is this jazz, or jazz-rock ? Well, no, I’d say this is rock-jazz, taking the best from both worlds… Every time I listen to this record I discover new layers of listening pleasure. The sax work is stunning (amazing Gary Windo !), the songs are wonderfully “pop” without ever feeling commercial, the arrangements are meticulously written ; there could be some kind of competition between the “rock” side of the crew (Nick Mason, Chris Spedding) and the jazzheads, but no, this just sounds right – perfectly balanced ; like the record balances between nonsensic humour (“can’t get my motor to start”, almost zappaian) and melancholy (this is Robert Wyatt singing after all). Lots of people think of this album as a minor gem, I tend to think it’s an absolutely overlooked masterpiece. Essential.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd & related   Today at 14:35

Back to top Go down

Pink Floyd & related
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1