FRENCH CHAOS ZONE

SHEEP ON METH SHOCKED WITH TASERS !

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Helios Creed / Chrome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vx

Male Number of posts : 6638
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Helios Creed / Chrome   Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 18:02

Fuck me, we had no topic about Chrome or Helios Creed here !!!!! Helios is one of my favorite musicians ever, he released some REALLY INFLUENTIAL stuff. Right now, I'm listening to Activated Conditions, not his best record but undoubtedly not the worst !!!! COntains some really fine pieces of spaced-out psychedelia...

http://www.myspace.com/helioscreed
http://www.helios-creed.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Creed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 18:43

Chromagnum Man

Well, if you like the more ambient/electronic side of Helios work, you might like it... But I tend to think there's a serious lack of Rock'n'roll on this record. And the production could have been better, too... But it's amusing to hear Z Sylver sing on one of the song, which gets almost goth-ish...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teiko

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 19:20

I have the Chrome Box composed of 3CDs but not much listened to it ... YET, I'll try to listen to it tonight as you remind me of them. i don't know why, but I thought on a tribute to the Sisters was a cover by Chrome, but it's by Foetus I realise by checking now.. I think I tend to take one band for the other O_o dunno why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lotek.fr
vx

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 16:16

Teiko wrote:
I have the Chrome Box composed of 3CDs but not much listened to it ... YET, I'll try to listen to it tonight as you remind me of them. i don't know why, but I thought on a tribute to the Sisters was a cover by Chrome, but it's by Foetus I realise by checking now.. I think I tend to take one band for the other O_o dunno why.

The Chrome Box is realy perfect : a great choice of songs, remastered sound... The best way to get into Chrome, from the early experimental days to the dark space punk of their last "official" record (later incarnations of the band WEREN't Chrome : it was either Helios Creed or Damon Edge doing their solo stuff using the Chrome name..)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Fri 24 Apr 2009 - 1:22

i'm downloading chrome and helios creed rarities.... i wait to see that.
Back to top Go down
vx

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Mon 24 Aug 2009 - 16:22

Helios Creed Spider Prophecy

Some good old-fashioned Helios-Creed songs/jams, but this album is to be kept for fans only – except for the really cool “Brown Spider” tune, quite sabbatish in its way…
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 18:12

here's a review I just wrote (with some Julian Cope added !) of that somewhat "forgotten" Chrome album :

Chrome – The Visitation

It’s always difficult, when listening to this record, to realize this is actually Chrome. Chrome before Helios Creed, but still, Chrome. The use of tapes is already here, even if slightly, the strange percussions too, the overall garagey production reminds a lot of the next two Chrome records ; actually, the real difference with later Chrome is the songs are quite simplistic in their structures (basic verse-chorus-verse songwriting), and the heavy and conspicuous influence of sixties psychedelia like Hendrix or The Grateful Dead. Some would even say this album sounds like a cross between early Brian Eno and Santana… Is this bad ? Not at all. Actually, for a 76 recorded record, it was really strange, and rather innovative ; the seeds were sown… “How many years too soon ?”, asks the first song. That was what Chrome was all about : being far ahead of their time, or maybe, any time. What Julian Cope wrote about the classic “half machine lips move” can be applied to “The visitation” :

“I can't imagine what people thought of this deeply mysterious band from San Francisco in the late 1970's, to the extent very many people were aware of them at all at the time (or even today.) But there are some artists who come along and are clearly "from another time" -- not necessarily "the future" but just "not from now", and though there is a "futuristic" vibe going on here I wouldn't say anyone else has copped the Chrome sound these past 25 years, nor ever will again in the future. I think one of the key things that makes them so unique is that they came along right at the end of the analog era, and in some sense took the analog audio tomfoolery of your VU's, Fausts and Zappas to the furthest extreme it would go. Then everyone went digital, so the kinds of blurry swiping tape-manipulated zounds found here are virtually unduplicatable today (unless one were to use the old analog equipment, but even then good luck figuring out what's going on here or how to recreate all thoze noizes!)”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wikiller

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Thu 7 Jan 2010 - 12:23

Deep Blue Love Vacuum may have one of the most hideous cover ever, but it's a GREAT album !!! Featuring some vocals by Fabienne Shine of the old french band Shakin Street...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabienne_Shine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Tue 16 Mar 2010 - 12:06

posthumous Edge/Creed record, Helios Creed having finished some demos left by Damon Edge unused before his untimely death. Not the best Chrome stuff whatsoever, but really worth the listen. The last two tracks are awesome.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helios Creed / Chrome   Today at 13:10

Back to top Go down

Helios Creed / Chrome
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1