FRENCH CHAOS ZONE

SHEEP ON METH SHOCKED WITH TASERS !

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  Log inLog in  

Share | 

T.REX / Marc Bolan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 17:19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Rex_(band) wrote:
T.Rex were an English rock band fronted by guitarist, singer and songwriter Marc Bolan. Formed as Tyrannosaurus Rex in 1960s London, the folk rock group's debut album My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows (1968) which reached number 15 in the UK. In the 1970s, they achieved mainstream success as a glam rock band with hits such as "Hot Love", "Get It On", "Telegram Sam" and "Metal Guru". After waning commercial success in the mid-70s, T.Rex were forced to break up in 1977 after Bolan was killed in a car accident.

Back to top Go down
vx

Male Number of posts : 6638
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 17:23

T-rex recorded some of the coolest songs ever... I scarcely listen to a whole album, but I sure get my kicks on Telegram Sam, Metal Guru, Children Of The Revolution, and so on... We had a sound-tech who had seen them live back in the 70's, at Reading or somewhere ; in those days most rockers hated them, saying they were "teeny-boppers" (music for little girls ha ha) ; they took the stage with hundreds of people insulting them, Marc Bolan took the mic and said "just wait we've played a few songs. Then if you still hate us, go on shouting !" - and they played... After the first song, no one hissed them anymore : they were fucking better than any other band playing the same day. This is rock'n'roll !
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 17:29

produced by Tony Visconti just like Bowie !! rulaiz

Personally, i'm not into glam rock that much, but the two first Roxy Music lp's (with Eno) roxxx, Bowie, T.Rex & the first two of Roxy's and that's it...
Other "glam" bands are dreadful to my ears and eyes.
Back to top Go down
vx

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 17:34

Les Modules Etranges wrote:
produced by Tony Visconti just like Bowie !! rulaiz

Personally, i'm not into glam rock that much, but the two first Roxy Music lp's (with Eno) roxxx, Bowie, T.Rex & the first two of Roxy's and that's it...
Other "glam" bands are dreadful to my ears and eyes.

Well, is there anything else ? Ha ha. Actually I never got into The New York Dolls... But except for the lipstick, what is glam ? One can ask.

(but I fucking love Johnny Thunders ! Who ain't glam at all)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arturo Bandini

Male Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Wed 22 Apr 2009 - 14:14

There's Mott, Slade, Sweet, Cockney Rebel, Gary Pedophile, Lou and Iggy at times, Suzi Quatro, and so on...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Wed 22 Apr 2009 - 15:42

Some of Slade stuff is cool, but forgettable. I never thought of Sweet as being really a Glam band ; I tend to think Mott The Hoople are just PERFECT SONGWRITERS... If glam is so large a thing, let's add Thin Lizzy and The Sparks !

(by the way, there's some really good COckney Rebel stuff... There's a song I love which almost sounds like Dark folk, actually, "Heckty Skies")
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arturo Bandini

Male Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Wed 22 Apr 2009 - 15:56

Well, maybe it's not THAT large, but glam is very close to hard / mod bands of that times like the Faces or Bad Co, the limit's a bit blurry...

I love this album Ellen Foley recorded with Mick Ronson and Ian Hunter:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 16:00

I'll sure have a listen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 16:48

I didn't listen any mott's song, but I know it's very influential for Mick Jones songwriting, so it can't be totally bad.
Back to top Go down
vx

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 16:59

C'mon, ALL THE YOUNG DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDES

This album is so fucking close to the coolest bowie :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tco

Male Number of posts : 11260

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 17:00

vx cheerleader 69 wrote:

This album is so fucking close to the coolest bowie :

maybe because it's bowie who write this album ! (not sure, maybe he was just producer, don't remember)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/tco22
vx

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 17:07

He wrote "all the young dudes" and produced the album. There's also a very good cover of the Velvet's Sweet Jane on that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tco

Male Number of posts : 11260

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 17:08

yes i just saw it on wikipedia !

Quote :
David Bowie had long been a fan of the band, and heard from Watts that they were about to split.[2] He persuaded them to stay together and offered them "Suffragette City" from his then yet-to-be-released Ziggy Stardust album.[2] They turned it down so Bowie wrote "All the Young Dudes" for them instead.[2] Released as a single in July 1972,[4] it was a success in the UK, with the band using Tippins - who by this time was their tour manager - to sing backing vocals during concert. A Bowie produced album, also called All the Young Dudes, sold well but stalled at #21 in the UK Albums Chart.[2] Late in 1972 they were going to record another Bowie song, "Drive-In Saturday"[citation needed], but their intended arrangement did not satisfy him and their professional relationship effectively ended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/tco22
vx

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 17:10

Bowie sang the song @ Wembley for the Freddie Mercury memorial concert, because Mott The Hoople were close friends of Queen and helped them in their early days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Thu 23 Apr 2009 - 17:26

he did the same on the DAVID LIVE album , that is indeed a good album, transitionnal between the glam period and the plastic soul period. And he was loaded with cocaine too fou

Back to top Go down
dead joe

Number of posts : 1411
Registration date : 2007-01-08

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Mon 27 Apr 2009 - 16:20

The Sweet sure were teeny boppers but, well, I'm a bopped teen then ! I love some of their songs !

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T.REX / Marc Bolan   Today at 1:01

Back to top Go down

T.REX / Marc Bolan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1