FRENCH CHAOS ZONE

SHEEP ON METH SHOCKED WITH TASERS !

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  FAQFAQ  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Diamanda Galas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vx

Male Number of posts : 6633
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Diamanda Galas   Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 20:55

hey, no diamanda galas topic yet ??????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamanda_Galàs

and here's my own little review of...

Diamanda Galas – Saint Of The Pit & The Divine Punishment

If you’ve never heard of Diamanda Galas – and, of course, if you’ve never actually heard Diamanda Galas – this record might not be the easiest way to enter her universe. Diamanda’s voice and texts are a total assault on senses and soul ; the themes she tackles have nothing to do with teenage goth angst. Aids, death – the death of her brother -, impurity : Diamanda Galas explores the darker corners of western culture and pushes the audience to the limits. Call her a diva, call her a witch, call her a monster ; you’re still far from reality. “Saint Of The Pit & Divine Punishment” is an amazing double album (and the second part of the “Red Death Trilogy”), inspired by biblical texts and French “decadent” poetry ; you won’t find here anything like a “song”, only hallucinatory vocal soundscapes that have NOTHING to do with ambient music. Actually, the absence of rhythm makes it even more aggressive… But still, listening to this record is more than just an ‘experience” (which is IMO the case of some Diamanda Galas albums like Vena Cava or Schrei X), because of its dramatic qualities ; there’s something of the greek tragedy here, bleak, ominous ; a greek tragedy in which the desperate vocalist stands at the same time as character and choir, leading us thru the bloody patterns of vengeance and despair entwined. This is not music for the meek… Some will say this is a nightmare for the ears ; yes, it is, a nightmare of the most intense kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JeanKevin

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Thu 2 Jul 2009 - 20:59

She'll be in Montreal on October 3rd : http://popmontreal.com/fr/node/4764

rulaiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.walnutlocust.com
vx

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 19:40

Diamanda Galas : Defixiones, Will & Testament

You thought Diamanda Galas was stuck in a broken blues nightmare with her piano as sole companion, like some kind of blood-frenzied demented Billie Holyday ? Well, no. This double album brings her back to the old days of gloomy spoken words over industrial soundscapes, graveyard chanting and mourning oriental arias. With a little less effects and tape-manipulation, and a little more piano ; but “defixiones, will and testament” is clearly closer to the “red death trilogy” than it is to “the singer”. Bleak as a tomb, this record is a long and dark testimony, focusing on the Armenian genocide perpetrated by the Turkish at the beginning of XXth century. Diamanda uses here quite a lot of languages, but ultimately, the only word in her mouth is death. This is not music for the faint of heart ; some would say it’s not music at all, but pain, sadness and anger translated to glossolalic noise. A strong, sometimes harsh experience, reminding sometimes of Meira Asher’s hardest works. (note : this is a double album ; the second cd is a live recording, focusing on some of her darkest piano/voice works, a very intense experience like any Diamanda Galas live album).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Tue 24 Nov 2009 - 21:35

i have this cd... it's a shame that I've listen to it only one or twice Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Daedal

Female Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 1:04

That's fucking crazy... last sunday I had an insomnia with her music
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/traxxtown
Arturo Bandini

Male Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 12:20

There's a cover of See That My Grave Is Kept Clean on Defixiones that is just wahoo.

I have this one, some kinda minimal groove metal, hypnotic and powerful, maybe too raw for some... but it roxxx.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IRON

Number of posts : 1832
Registration date : 2007-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Wed 25 Nov 2009 - 13:54

my favorite is "Les litanies de Satan"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vx

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 0:27

hadn't listened to this one for quite a long time... And still, really difficult to listen to it from beginning to end. It's not bad, in any way, but it's probably the most difficult of her records
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 1:13

i AGREE, it's nearly her only screaming in a parking lot for hours (that's the reminder I have)
Back to top Go down
nightmarica

Male Number of posts : 4133

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   Fri 26 Mar 2010 - 1:50

Paris 04.Juin SoiSong + Growing + Diamanda Galas (Villette sonique) - Grande Halle de la villette

soisong is an recent project of Peter Martin Christopherson ex Throbbing Gristle/coil/Psychic TV

yes :ruse:

-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diamanda Galas   

Back to top Go down

Diamanda Galas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FRENCH CHAOS ZONE :: Chaos French Zone-